I don’t know about you but I am all about themed activities and Valentine’s Day is a great opportunity to discuss kindness, love and friendship with our little people!! This month at the preschool our themes have been revolving around those topics with some Valentine’s art thrown in, of course!! Here are five activities to try with your child this month!
1. Make and hand out Valentines to the people in your neighborhood. There is no better way to teach kindness then doing acts of kindness! Your child will see how good it feels to spread joy and make someone else feel good!
2. Use the snow as your canvas. Last week I bought some spray bottles from the dollar store and filled them with one pump of washable paint and the rest water. The children absolutely loved painting the snow with beautiful Valentine’s colors!!
3. Make Valentine’s Cookies together. Among other reasons baking with your child is a great way to connect. It gives you the ability to have some uninterrupted time together while also creating a delicious treat for you to enjoy (and share with friends) afterwards. Here is one of our favorite sugar cookie recipes from Sally’s Baking Addiction and if you have not had a chance to read my previous blog about the benefits of baking with your child check it out HERE
4. Make a Valentine’s Day Busy Bin with Flower Petals and Water. For this activity I like to buy the flowers early and enjoy them for a week or more until they start to wilt then I take all the petals off, chop up the stems and throw it all in a big bin with some water and a few drops of red food coloring and some water beads if you have them. You can have small bowls or cups, scoops, child safety scissors and whatever else you can think of. I recommend setting up on the floor and putting a towel underneath so there isn’t a big puddle to clean up. These types of activities the children will honestly occupy themselves with for the full hour of creative time.
5. Make beautiful Valentine’s Day Art work! This activity is best explained by my newest Youtube video!! The children and I made lovely display worthy art to give to their parents for Valentine’s Day! We used a picture frame, paint, glue, glitter, jewels and beads, check out the video HERE for the tutorial.
Let me know if you try any of these activities! I’d love to hear from you!!
Leave a Reply.